Saturday, June 30, 2012

Eggless Breakfast Casserole?!?!


Cheesy Sausage and Hashbrown Casserole

I always looked forward to holiday breakfasts as a child.  These mostly consisted of hashbrowns, sausage or bacon (sometimes both!), eggs and biscuits.  I could eat this ‘breakfast’ meal morning, noon and night.

This particular recipe started with a search for a Father’s Day breakfast meal that didn’t have any egg (TC and sis have allergies/intolerances) but was still delicious and filling.  Everything I would normally prepare (based on what I had as a child) would not meet the allergen needs.  Pinterest to the rescue!!

I could tell my entire family was skeptical as I explained it was eggless.  So often this means bland and tasteless or funky textures.  This put all those misconceptions to rest.

It was such a hit I included it in the rotation of my frozen meals I cook on the weekend for week night dinners.  Look for a post soon on how I prepare the week’s dinners on the weekend for fast and easy homemade meals on weeknights!  As always, below is the recipe and link.  Please excuse the laundry basket in the photo below! :)


First, I started preheating the oven to 375 degrees and browned the sausage on my stovetop.


Next, I chopped up the cooked ham.  You can purchase it already diced if you like.


In a large bowl (and I mean seriously large) I combined the hashbrowns, ham, sausage, cream of potato soup, sour cream, and cheddar cheese.


Next, I spread the mixture into the casserole dishes.  My mixture made enough for 3 small casserole dishes.


Bake for one hour.  The top should be golden brown.


This dish can be served as a casserole (as I made) or in individual ramekin dishes.  Next time I think I will add green peppers and maybe some other veggies.  What would you add, if anything, to this dish?

Enjoy!
Rachael

Cheesy Sausage and Hashbrown Casserole

1 (32 oz.) package of frozen hashbrowns
2 packages pork sausage
10 oz, cooked ham, diced
2 (10.75 oz.) condensed cream of potato soup
1 (16 oz.) sour cream
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease the desired casserole dish (at least one 9 x 13).

Brown sausage in a skillet on the stovetop, drain and set aside.  Chop cooked ham.  In a large bowl, combine hashbrowns, ham, sausage, cream of potato soup, sour cream, and shredded cheddar cheese.

Spread evenly onto desired baking dish.

Bake for one hour, until lightly browned. 

16 comments:

  1. I am a newbie to gluten free. But this receipt makes my mouth water. My niece (Rachael) is soooo cool. I am going to start following you on a daily basis Your Uncle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um...although this looks absolutely delicious...Campbell's Cream of Potato Soup is not gluten free. http://www.campbellfoodservice.com/details.aspx?Code=599

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica- Thank you for catching that! This post was over a year old and I was new to TC's Gluten issue and all that it required. I have removed it from the title and post so as not to be misleading. Have a great day!

      Delete
  3. Okay, I know this is a few months old, but I figure it might still be helpful to someone... If you Goggle "SOS" mix you can find a recipe that replaces cream of anything soups, AND it's gluten free. I also use homemade chicken stock instead of bullion so it's MSG free also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the SOS mix information! I have had to avoid recipes that use condensed soups cause I didn't know how to replace it. I am also replacing the cornstarch with tapioca starch (arrowroot also works). I use homemade chicken stock too.

      Delete
  4. Do you think I could make this a day ahead of time and bake the next day?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made this today for my egg/peanut/tree nut allergic kiddos for a special Christmas breakfast. I actually prepared this the night before. Success! We loved it! It did make a lot so I have another casserole dish that I stuck in the freezer for New Years. Thanks so much for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this for Christmas brunch this year. In the bustle of things, I forgot to add the sour cream. It was really good even with that whoops. Hubby says that maybe the sour cream would cut the saltiness from the sausage. It was salty, but that would depend on the meat used. Due to dairy allergies, I made one pot without cheese which turned out great. The only other change was that I made the cream soup instead of using the canned version. Thanks for a great eggless option!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonder if this could work in the crockpot?? Anyone ever tried that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonder if this could work in the crockpot?? Anyone ever tried that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made this for Canada Thanksgiving and it was such a hit. Kids were fighting over the leftovers. I did add red peppers, onions, mushrooms and I added my dried hot peppers for a kick. It was so so delicious. I used full fat sour cream and sharp cheese which added so much flavour. Favourite brunch or even a side dish for future family get-togethers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can’t even tell you how excited my egg free daughter was to find a breakfast casserole without egg in it! I’ve even made it for dinner these past few years it’s so good! Just thought you’d like to know this recipe is still being made in our home! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anyone have the nutritional information on this? Recently started weight watchers and of course I woke up to my husband and daughter making this... my house smells amazing but I want to be good and track it on my ww app!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When your sub is damaged scr888 agent login by depth charge attack, you can hear breaking glass and light bulbs and threatening water leaks. Sounds are directional, too, a plus. I noticed enemy screw sounds when in a underwater submarine were missing.

    ReplyDelete